Prof. Dr. Gerald Radziwill
In my lab we develop optogenetic tools to control signal transduction pathways and metabolic pathways. The optogenetic tools designed are mainly based on the blue light-dependent systems CRY2/CIB1 and LOV-domain and the red/far-red light PhyB/PIF system. We succeeded in generating tools for light-dependent control of the RAF/ERK and the AKT pathways. These tools enable us to fine-tune proliferation and differentiation of cells. We also developed a multichromatic system that allows the orthogonal control of the RAF/ERK and the AKT pathways by three different wavelengths. Recently we started to design optogenetic tools to control metabolic pathways. The focus of this project is the control of sensors for the nutrient availability and the energy balance. In cooperation with Ralf Takors, Institute of Biochemical Engineering at the University of Stuttgart, we started a project on the optogenetic control of the cell cycle to optimize producer cell lines cultured in bioreactors.
Optogenetics, signal transduction, metabolic pathway, cell cycle, proliferation, differentiation
Design and application of optogenetic tools to decipher how signalling pathways and metabolic pathways are interconnected.
10 selected publications
- OpEn-Tag-A Customizable Optogenetic Toolbox To Dissect Subcellular Signaling.
Mühlhäuser WWD, Weber W, Radziwill G. (2019)
ACS Synth Biol 19, 1679-1684
- Optogenetic control of focal adhesion kinase signaling.
Hörner M, Chatelle C, Mühlhäuser WWD, Stocker DR, Coats M, Weber W, Radziwill G. (2018).
Cellular Signalling 42, 176–183.
- Membrane localization of acetylated CNK1 mediates a positive feedback on RAF/ERK signaling.
Fischer A, Mühlhäuser WWD, Warscheid B, Radziwill G (2017).
Science Advances 3: e1700475
- AKT-dependent phosphorylation of the SAM domain induces oligomerization and activation of the scaffold protein CNK1.
Fischer A, Weber W, Warscheid B, Radziwill G (2017).
Biochim Biophys Acta - Mol Cell Res 1864, 89-100.
- Optogenetic clustering of CNK1 reveals mechanistic insights in RAF and AKT signaling controlling cell fate decisions.
Fischer A, Warscheid B, Weber W, Radziwill G (2016)
Scientific Reports 6:38155.
- Optogenetically controlled RAF to characterize BRAF and CRAF protein kinase inhibitors.
Chatelle CV, Hövermann D, Müller A, Wagner HJ, Weber W, Radziwill G. (2016)
Scientific Reports 6:23713. doi:10.1038/srep23713.
- Differential tyrosine phosphorylation controls the function of CNK1 as a molecular switch in signal transduction.
Fischer A, Brummer T, Warscheid B, Radziwill G. (2015)
Biochim Biophys Acta - Mol Cell Res 1853, 2847-2855.
- Optogenetic control of protein kinase activity in mammalian cells.
Wend,S, Wagner HJ, MüllerK, Zurbriggen MD, Weber W, Radziwill G. (2014).
ACS Synth Biol 3, 280-285.
- CNK1 is a novel Akt interaction partner that promotes cell proliferation through the Akt/FoxO signalling axis.
Fritz RD, Varga Z, Radziwill G. (2010).
Oncogene 29, 3575-3582.
- CNK1 promotes invasion of cancer cells through NF-kappaB-dependent signalling.
Fritz RD, Radziwill G. (2010).
Mol Cancer Res 8, 395-406.