Equal Opportunity and Diversity
In 2010, the University of Freiburg signed the ‘Charta der Vielfalt’ to demonstrate its commitment to promoting equality and diversity in education and research. In 2011, the university’s diversity policy was awarded the German Diversity Prize.
As a scientific community at the University of Freiburg, CIBSS is committed to:
- promote gender equality and representation of scientists with diverse backgrounds, as well as creating an open and inclusive academic community.
- create an environment where all scientists, employees and students have equal opportunities, are welcomed and respected regardless of their gender, ability or disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, financial background, ethnicity or nationality.
- strengthen the recruitment, retention and career development of excellent scientists particularly from traditionally underrepresented groups in STEM, including women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, people with disabilities, and to further the internationalization of the CIBSS research community.
- recognize that balancing family and career can be a major challenge for scientists, therefore implementing strategies to help researchers reconcile these commitments.
- Laboratory assistance for women who are pregnant or nursing
- Childcare: assistance organising childcare, a dedicated on-site family room, on-site childminding during special CIBSS events
- Seminars at noon
- Complementary financing in programmes to bridge family-related career gaps (e.g. family or child illness)
Prioritization of Equal Opportunity and Diversity at the University of Freiburg
- Continued increase in the proportion of female professors (24% in 2016)
- Successful Dual Career Program
University-wide childcare facilities
- Continued expansion as part of the Strategic Development Plan
- 351 childcare spaces and counting
If you are at a critical stage during your career or are seeking support of any kind, the university and CIBSS offers individual and confidential coaching sessions with professional coaches to help guide you through difficult decisions and career steps.
More information about University of Freiburg and CIBSS Coaching Opportunities
Or explore these additional resources at the University of Freiburg: